This Diwali, besides Peanut Burfi, I also made Figs and dates Burfi which does not have added sugar. I wanted to make this burfi at home since long and Diwali gave me a perfect reason to do so. Home made sweets, traditional puja, hand painted diyas, no crackers, simple dinner with family and Apricot Pudding made by my dad as dessert made a perfect Diwali this year.
I searched the net for Figs and Dates burfi and came across a lot of sites and blogs with the recipe. I followed Sanjeev Kapoor’s recipe.
Figs and Date Burfi (Sugar-free)
- Dried Figs 1 ½ cups
- Dates 1 ½ cup
- Mixed nuts (Almonds, Pistachios, and Cashew nuts) 1 ½ cups
- Pure Ghee (clarified butter) 3 tablespoons
- Wash figs and soak them in hot water for about five minutes.
- Discard water and put them in a grinder and puree them.
- Wash dates and remove the seeds. Chop them fine. Soak them in hot water (1/2 cup) for fifteen minutes and puree the dates.
- Chop the nuts. Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and add pureed figs and dates. Cook for about fifteen minutes. Stir continuously while cooking and cook till the mixtures thickens. Add chopped nuts and cook till the mixtures becomes heavy and leaves the sides of the pan and starts gathering as a ball
- Pour in a greased plate and spread evenly. Leave it to cool. When cold, cut square slices and store in an airtight container.
My notes: In the original recipe, the quantity of ghee is half a cup. I used three tablespoons only.