Yesterday, a mongoose peeped out of the tall grass. Civet cats can be spotted after sunset running up to the tall branches to hide. Thankfully, amidst all the concretization around, these species are still struggling and managing to survive.
Fat-Free Breakfast Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- ¾ to 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1-2 teaspoon vegetable oil to grease the bowl and bread pan.
- Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
- Dissolve sugar in ¾ warm water and add yeast. Cover and keep for 15 minutes.
- Beat yogurt till smooth. Add to water-yeast mixture.
- Add liquid ingredients to flour mix. Knead for 5 to 6 minutes. Keep adding water until a supple and slightly sticky dough is obtained.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Turn around dough so that it is evenly coated with oil. Keep it to rise for 1 to 1 ½ hour or till double in size.
- Grease one 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Punch the dough and knead gently for another 5 minutes. Roll out the dough into a rectangle no wider than the loaf pan you are using.
- Roll the dough towards you, tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Place the roll in the greased loaf tin. Cover and let it rise till double in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees C for 30 to 35 minutes or till the loaf turns brown and the bottom of the pan sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the pan after 10 minutes. Slice when cold.
Variation - I also made this bread with 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour with rest of the ingredients and method same as mentioned in the recipe. The bread is healthier and a bit dense.
Submitted for Yeast Spotting