Most of the times we end up with leftover rice at home. Mom used to make fried rice and we loved it. Sometimes, she would also knead the flour with leftover rice along with chopped onions, fresh coriander and make paranthas. This was definitely our favourite parantha recipe.
Leftover rice should be immediately kept in the refrigerator but never kept in the refrigerator for too long. Stale may pose serious health issues and send your stomach into turmoil. It is best when used within two hours of cooking. Read more about this here -
Whenever we have leftover rice, we generally bake a bread using all of it in the dough. The bread comes out soft and spongy and is best eaten the same day.
It is a great relief once the dinner is sorted. The evening was relaxing. We made masala chai and enjoyed the colourful autumn evening.
We spotted a Shikra on our terrace.
Dinner was a soup and Rice Bread. We loved it and in the end, has a slice each with honey.
Rice Bread | Leftover Rice Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cooked rice (freshly cooked, leftover, white rice or brown rice)
- 3 teaspoons oil for bread +1 teaspoon for greasing the bowl and pan
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoon instant dry yeast
- In a large bowl, take flour, salt, and oil. Mix well.
- In another bowl, take water, sugar, and yeast. Mix, cover and keep for 10 minutes. It should turn frothy. Add rice and mix.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mix. Knead for 6-7 minutes till you get a smooth, slightly tacky dough.
- In the beginning, take slightly less than ¾ cup water for activating the yeast. While kneading keep adding water as needed. We don’t want a very sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and turn around once so that it is evenly coated with oil. Cover with a kitchen towel and keep in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until double.
- Grease one 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Transfer the risen dough onto a floured counter. With your fingers, flatten the dough into 8x10 inch rectangle. Tightly roll the dough, pinch and tuck the ends in. Place into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 40-45 minutes. The top should turn golden brown and the pan should sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool on the rack. Slice when cold