We have some mixed herbs at home procured from the community shops in the hills. Oregano, Thyme and Italian spice mix fill up our pantry with the sweet aroma. We decide to use them in a bread and a Garlic pull apart bread is planned.
We sprinkle the dry herbs liberally between the buttered layers of dough and pop the bread into the hot oven. As bread begins to brown, our home smells like heaven.
We lovingly pull out the herby buttery sections and enjoy the bread with soup.
Garlic and Herbs Pull-Apart Bread
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs of choice or Italian dry herbs
- 8 – 10 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup warm water plus more if needed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8-10 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- Dissolve sugar in warm water and add yeast. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and olive oil to this mixture.
- Whisk together first three ingredients, 1 teaspoon herb mix and half of the minced garlic.
- Knead dough by adding liquid ingredients. Knead for about 6-8 minutes till dough becomes soft and elastic. Add more water if needed. The dough should be really soft but not sticky.
- Shape into a ball and transfer it to a greased bowl. Turn around so that it is evenly coated with oil. Cover and keep in a warm place for 1 hour or until double.
- Punch dough and transfer it to a floured counter. Roll out into a rectangle of about 12 x 20 inches.
- Generously brush with 3 tablespoons of butter, sprinkle cheese, remaining herbs and garlic.
- Cut into five equal strips, layering one on top of the other. Cut the strips into six equal stacks.
- Transfer the stacks into a generously greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and keep in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until double.
- Drizzle with the remaining butter and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Tent with a foil if the top is browning too fast. Remove from oven after 10 minutes.
- Cool in the rack. Serve warm.