Recipes that have a history always have an appeal. Don’t we treasure the recipes of our grandmothers and mothers and proudly call them “family recipes”? Each one of us have a treasure trove of family recipes which we pass on to the next generation with great pride. These recipes are precious and need to be preserved.
Recently I came across a recipe – Grandma Margery’s Egg lessChocolate Cake.
I loved the fact that it is a family recipe. And the fact that it is egg less turned out to be a bonus. I baked this cake with some changes. I used whole wheat flour. I did not have chocolate chips. I used chocolate chunks instead. The cake was delish. It was moist and full of chocolate chunks. It tasted great on the second day.
I baked the cake in a regular square tin and one very small one in a bowl for my daughter to take to school.
This is how I made Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Chunks
Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Chunks
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (level)
- 1 ½ cups sugar (adjust sugar according to taste)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks (chop two dark chocolate slabs into small pieces) or chocolate chips.
* if you do not have buttermilk, take 1 cup of milk, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar and stir. Let it stand for 15 minutes. Use.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease and line one 7 ½ inch x 7 ½ inch square cake pan.
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sifted cocoa powder.
- Take butter and sugar in a big size steel bowl. Add boiling water and cover for 5 minutes. Stir till sugar dissolves. Add vanilla extract. Add buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix till well incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chunks/chocolate chips. Reserve some to sprinkle on top.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chunks/chips.
- Bake at 200 degrees C for 12 minutes. Lower the temperature to 180 degrees C and bake for another 45 to 50 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and remove from the pan after 5 minutes.
- Cool in the rack. Slice next day.