Heat is showing the greatest effect on Bananas in our kitchen. They are ripening at a phenomenal speed. A day ago, half a dozen of the fruit was bought. The Same day, we went to a village in the periphery of the Jim Corbett Park. It was hot but serene. The breeze was cool. The forest was mesmerizing. The trees stood tall donning new leaves. The sound of the birds was soothing. Every time when there was a movement in the grass, we hoped to see some animal. But we had to be content with the distant sound of a barking deer and a peacock that we spotted by the side of the road.
We stopped by a village. There, an old man gave us a bunch of pahari bananas. The bananas were small, sweet and had a very distinct taste. We were hungry and ate up half the bunch.
We returned home in the evening, exhausted and happy after a forest drive. The blackened bananas had to be salvaged. We decided on baking an Eggless Banana Chocolate Coffee Cake with olive oil. We also used the local bananas in the cake. The Cake was delicious. Soft, moist and chocolaty.
Olive Oil Chocolate Banana Cake (Eggless)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 very ripe sweet bananas
- ¾ cup warm milk
- ¾ cup Caster Sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Grease and line one 9 inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients (first six ingredients) in a large bowl.
- Take milk in a glass. Add vinegar, stir and let stand for 10 minutes. It will curdle.
- Puree the bananas in a blender.
- Add sugar, olive oil, vanilla extract and caster sugar and blend to get a smooth mixture.
- Add curdled milk and stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange some banana slices on the top (optional)
- Bake for 55 minutes or till the cake shrinks from the sides and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Remove from the pan after 5 minutes. Cool on the rack. Slice when cold.