The heat is excruciating. It has been the hottest summer it seems. It is still outside. Occasional call of the birds breaks the silence. Or, a thump of a ripe wood apple falling on the dry grass rips the calm. We hear a rustling sound in our backyard. It’s a Crow Pheasant walking on the dry leaves.
We also spotted a baby tailor bird perched on a dry branch.
Kids declare that they are terribly bored. Having played board games, read story books, drawing, painting, and craft, they want to engage themselves in something new. Watching TV does not interest them. Heatwave restricts them indoors and they feel asphyxiated. Entertaining kids and involving them fruitfully can be a daunting task. Baking together is one beautiful way of killing boredom and monotony. Kids love participating in the process. We decide on baking some vegan cupcakes with funfetti.
Kids are flooded with excitement and they squeal with joy as they begin measuring flour, mixing, stirring and also licking ladles and pans after the batter has been filled up in the cupcake tray.
It was good a utilization of time and the cupcakes were delicious.
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup caster Sugar
- 1 cup warm soymilk (or, dairy milk for a nonvegan version)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup funfetti
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons funfetti
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line the standard 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together first five ingredients.
- In another bowl, take milk. Mix vinegar and let rest for 5 minutes. The milk will curdle
- Add oil and vanilla essence and mix well
- Add dry ingredients. Stir to combine and get a smooth batter.
- Fold in funfetti. Stir
- Pour the batter into the muffin tray filling 3/4 of each cavity.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the tray and cool on the rack.
- For glaze, mix icing sugar and milk to get a thick paste.
- Pour over the cupcakes. Sprinkle funfetti and serve.
My Tip: To make the glaze, add less milk first and check. Add more milk only if required. The glaze should be thick.