It is late evening. The beauty of Autumn is at its best. We dragged the chairs out in our verandah. The Sun has just set and the dusk is creeping in. The moon is already out and bright. A flock of migratory birds flies by silently in a row.
Flowers are blooming abundantly. There is beauty all around.
We relish the magnificence of nature and enjoy the gorgeousness of blossoms.
Our kitchen garden has a lot of aubergines growing. We plucked some for a focaccia that has been planned for dinner.
Thin slices of aubergines and a generous sprinkling of cheese and herbs, the focaccia is out of the world.
We loved it with hot soup.
Aubergine Focaccia|Brinjal Focaccia
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water (plus more if needed)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 medium size fresh aubergines (brinjal)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cubes grated cheddar cheese (or more according)
- 2 teaspoons Italian spice mix or mixed herbs
- Add sugar to warm water. Stir to dissolve and add yeast. Cover and keep till frothy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both the flours, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons oil
- Add yeast mixture and knead the dough. Push dough with the heels of the hand and pull it back with fingers. Knead like this for 5-6 minutes till you get a soft and supple dough.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Turn around so that it is evenly coated with oil. Cover and keep for 1 hour or until double.
- Cut the aubergines into 1/4-inch thick slices. Sprinkle salt. Toss well. Keep them on a tilted plate to drain excess water. Cover and keep for 20 minutes.
- Press the aubergine slices between the folds of paper napkin till dry. Keep aside
- Line a baking tray with a parchment sheet.
- Punch the risen dough. Divide into 4 parts. Roll out each piece into a rectangle or oval (about 9 x 5 inches)
- Place on the parchment sheet. Brush liberally with olive oil. Spread grated cheese. Place aubergine slices (tightly packed). Drizzle olive oil on the slices. Sprinkle grated cheese. Sprinkle half teaspoon herbs mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 190 degrees C for 20-25 minutes till the edges become golden.
- You may bake two to three focaccia at a time depending on the size of your baking tray.
- Serve with soup.