I learnt an important lesson some four years ago that whenever you are embarking on a journey, especially with small children, it is very important that you carry a lot of eatables especially dry food with you. It comes in handy as kids keep eating throughout the journey, it saves you from eating junk food like chips etc when hunger pangs become unbearable, it also fills your tummy well if the food of your choice is not available and God forbid, if your traveling time gets extended due to some reason, it is a blessing to have eatables with you. When our daughter was two years old, while returning home from
This cake is delicious and filling and has the goodness of whole wheat flour.
Vanilla Cake (Wholegrain)
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- ½ cup (100gms) butter
- 1 cup sugar powdered
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (100ml) buttermilk or mix yogurt and water to make ½ cup.
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Grease and line one 8 inch round cake tin cake tin or 8 1/2 inch x 4 1/2 inch bread pan. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence.
- In a bowl, sift whole wheat flour with salt, baking soda and baking powder. Keep aside.
- Beat the white of the eggs till fluffy and stiff.
- Add this to butter-sugar mixture.
- Add yolks and mix well. Now add flour to this mixture in three parts adding buttermilk while doing so. The batter should be smooth and there should be no lumps.
- Pour the batter.
- Bake for about 55 minutes.
- When the top turns golden and skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove from the oven after five minutes and remove from the cake tin in another five minutes. Place it on the wire rack and let it cool.