It is the fag end of autumn here. Trees and bushes are laden with flowers. Air is nippy and nights are cold. It feels nice and light to have a few slices of bread and hot soup for dinner.
|A glimpse of Autumn in garden|
My search for whole wheat bread ended at www.breadexperience.com I finalised on a whole wheat bread. It is a bread made with the bread machine. But I always knead the dough with my hands, an activity I find very relaxing. After a rigorous kneading session, I realised that the dough was a little hard (perhaps due to honey). I added some more water and kneaded again. It took about 10 minutes for the dough to reach the desired softness and elasticity.
The bread needs only one rising. It has a lovely flavour of honey and hence, the name 100% Whole Wheat and Honey Bread.
It requires a lot of muscle power to knead the dough, but is worth giving a try. I have halved the ingredients.
This is how I made 100%Whole Wheat and Honey Bread-
100% Whole Wheat (Atta) and Honey Bread
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 ¼ teaspoon instant dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add instant yeast to warm water, cover for 15 minutes.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour and salt. Add olive oil, mix well.
- Add honey and milk to water yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough with the above ingredients. While kneading the dough, add liquids gradually kneading well after addition. The dough will feel very hard initially, keep kneading for 10 minutes till it becomes smooth and supple. (You might require some more water than the quantity specified)
- Grease one 8 ½ x 4 ½ inches loaf tin.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle no wider than the loaf tin you are using.
- Roll the dough towards you, tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Place the roll in the greased loaf tin with the seam side down. Cover and keep it to rise for 1 hour or till the loaf becomes double its size.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees for 25-30 minutes or till the bread becomes brown and the bottom of the tin sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and remove from the tin after 10 minutes.
- Cool and slice it the next day.
Submitted for Yeastspotting