Autumn is adding more and more colour to the landscape.
A cart loaded with fresh red apples passing by our lane was stopped. We chose to pick the fruit and the vendor allowed us to do it without any signs of uneasiness as we examined the lot and gathered the seemingly best apples. We applauded his generosity as he smiled accepting money and carrying on further.
Kids loved snacking on them. I saved some for baking a cake. Incorporating fresh fruits in the cake gives a good feeling. Cake gets a great texture and the recipe feels healthy too. Having baked and enjoyed whole wheat apple cake and easy apple cake earlier, an egg less version was in mind. I grated a large apple and added to the batter. Since apples do not have any distinct flavour, I added vanilla essence. Cinnamon would also give a great flavour.
Egg less Apple Snack Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour (Atta)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- ¾ cup sugar (powdered)
- ½ cup thick curd
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 medium size apple grated
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line and grease one 8 inch round cake pan. Dust the sides with flour.
- Whisk together first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix curd and sugar. Add oil and vanilla essence. Stir until smooth mixture forms. Add grated apple.
- Add dry ingredients. Stir till well combined. The batter should be of dropping consistency. If your batter is thick, add 1 -2 tablespoons of water.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 -45minutes till the top turns golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven after 10 minutes. Cool on the rack. Slice next day.