She climbs up the monkey ladder and reaches the top. She moves forward with a bottle in her hand and balances herself precariously between the rods. Then, gently empties water in the bird bath. Next, she climbs up again with a handful of millets and scatters the grain on a stone slab which serves as food table for birds. While descending, a squirrel’s call gets her attention and she spots one in the Mango tree. She looks up and gestures, seems, some kind of communication has taken place between the two….she opens the refrigerator and takes out an apple and cuts it into half, and places it on the slab. She hides behind the door. Soon a squirrel scampers down and starts nibbling the piece. My daughter smiles.
Oven timer tinkles. We check cake for doneness. A vegan Chocolate Orange Cake is out of the oven.
It’s my daughter’s birthday. She wanted a vegan cake.
The cake is cooling on the rack. She plans to dress it up with ganache and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
An ardent animal lover to the core, she keeps one slice each for the cat and the dog.
Fresh Orange juice, zest and marmalade do magic in the cake. The cake is whole grain, low fat and delicious.
Vegan Chocolate Orange Cake
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil or any neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon marmalade (mixed fruit jam will also do)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Finely grated zest of two oranges or two tablespoons candied peels.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease the sides and line the bottom of one 8 inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in another large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix till combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert on the rack and cool.
Next day, Pour 1 cup warm Ganache (Heat the 200 grams dark chocolate in a double boiler. Add 5 tablespoons cream. Stir constantly till the chocolate melts. Take off the heat and stir briskly till it becomes smooth and shiny. It will thicken as it cools.)and sprinkle some chocolate chips.