A row of Ficus plants line up the edge of our garden. The have been grown as hedge and they also conceal the concrete wall behind them. This is where we spot most of the leaf birds flitting from branch to branch, picking insects from the underside of leaves, letting out a constant chirrup that is sweet, sonorous and soothing to the ears. Last time when we were in our backyard, we noticed a subtle movement in the forked branches of a Ficus. A movement almost imperceptible but noticeable occasionally, a faint jerky bobble every now and then, got us intrigued. On getting closer, we discovered a giant spider suspended in a superbly made web.
We marveled at the intricacy and the beauty of the whole system she had spun around her.
The bird bath is full and a Himalayan Bulbul is enjoying an afternoon splash.
Our dinner rolls are out of the oven and are being brushed with butter.
Butter trickles and seeps into the perfectly round contours. The aroma is heavenly.
Golden Buttery Pull Apart Buns
Recipe source - www.kingarthurflour.com
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons milk powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon mashed potato or potato flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoons for brushing baked rolls
- 2/3 cup warm water
- ½ cup warm milk
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and knead for 6 to 8 minutes till you get a smooth and soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Turn around so that it is evenly coated with oil. Cover and leave to rise for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until double.
- Deflate the dough and transfer to the counter.
- Roll out a thick rope and cut into half. Divide each half into further half and so on to get eight pieces from each half. Roll out each piece into a smooth ball.
- Grease two 8 inch cake pans. Arrange eight balls in each pan. (You may use pans of your choice)
- Cover and keep to rise for 1 hour or until double in size. Towards the end of rising time, preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes till the buns turn golden brown. Remove buns from oven and brush with melted butter. Remove from the pan after 5 minutes and transfer to the rack.
- Serve warm.