It is the first day of the long weekend. A list of chores long pending has been discussed with the kids. The first day has been assigned to arrange the cupboards that have been holding a lot of stuff just hoarded and seldom used. A lot of clothes not fitting anymore, a lot of magazines read over and over again, some toys and a lot of stationery. A big bag has been filled to be dispatched to its needful destination. Racks look clean and roomy. We feel lighter and better and de cluttered inside out.
Besides the physical clutter, we need to cleanse our inside as well. We tend to collect so much litter of thoughts and emotions that we don’t let go. A burden that we can’t afford to carry or throw off. But once ridden, it lightens and eases life.
Later in the evening, we baked a Marmalade Cake. It was relaxing after all the hard work. We used Lemon Marmalade in the cake and loads of zest.
The evening after a heavy downpour was pleasant. We spotted a Grey Bushchat in our backyard.
Marmalade Cake (Whole Grain And Vegan)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup warm water
- ½ cup marmalade
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons zest of a lemon (optional)
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line one 8 inch round cake pan. Or, generously grease and dust one 3 cup bundt pan.
- Whisk together first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the next four ingredients. These are liquid ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl that has liquid ingredients. Mix gently till well combined. Do not over mix.
- Stir in zest.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the top turns brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan after 5 minutes. Invert on the rack to cool. Slice when cold.
- For the glaze, mix lemon juice and icing sugar. The glaze should be thick and not runny. Pour over the cake.