It was a pleasant evening. It was breezy and the clouds were drifting in the sky. Soon, everything changed and the breeze sounded angry and large gathering of clouds began to change colour. The wind howled and the sky became a scary gray. There was a fierce storm. We could see leaves, papers and a lot of things flying helter-skelter. The branches creaked and cracked and fell. The wires snapped and storm assumed monstrous proportions. Soon the rain was drumming on the window panes and on the terrace. The wall of rain moved from one end to the other. Nature displayed its fury and strength and also the puniness of the man.
The morning was beautiful.
A Purple Sunbird flitted on the branches of the yellow trumpet.
The skies were clear and calm as though the storm never occurred. The only evidence was broken branches and uprooted trees. The storm also damaged the fruits. Late morning was spent in collecting the raw mangoes that were strewn on the ground in large numbers.
Every storm in summer leaves us with raw mangoes. Raw mango preserve or murraba is made in every household and is very popular in north India. We all have our own versions. Some add cardamom, some love with saffron and we love with heeng (Asafoetida ) and fennel seeds. It will pep up the meal and is a great accompaniment to parantha and toast.
Raw Mango Preserve | Aam Ka Murabba (Vegan)
- 7-8 medium size raw green mangoes
- Sugar (as required)
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida (heeng)
- 2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds (saunf)
- ½ pinch salt per one cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- Wash and wipe dry mangoes.
- Peel the mangoes
- Grate the mangoes. Discard the seeds
- Take a steel wok. Measure the grated mangoes using a cup. For every cup of the grated mangoes, add one cup sugar.
- Add salt. Mix with a spoon. Cover and keep for 3-4 hours. Sugar will dissolve and release a lot of juice.
- Cook on medium heat stirring continuously. By the end of cooking, the colour of the preserve should become golden and it should become thick and coat the ladle. It should be almost jam-like in consistency.
- Turn off the heat. Leave to cool.
- Heat oil, add asafoetida. Add this tempering to the preserve.
- Roast fennel seeds lightly. Cool. Grind coarsely. Add to the preserve.
- Store in a sterilized jar.