Chia seeds are among the healthiest foods on the planet.
They are loaded with nutrients that can have important benefits for your body and brain.
Chia seeds are tiny black seeds from the plant Salvia Hispanica, which is related to the mint.
Chia seeds are 40% fiber, by weight. This makes them a great source of fiber.
Chia seeds are a great source of protein. They also contain a good balance of essential amino acids, so our bodies should be able to make use of the protein in them
Chia seeds are high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and protein. All of these nutrients are essential for bone health. (source: www.healthline.com)
Chia seeds are considered to be “superfood”. Chia seeds do not have any profound taste or flavour and this makes them incredibly easy to incorporate into your diet. You can add them to your bakes porridge, cereal, yogurt, juices, and puddings.
Last week, we made Chia Chocolate Pudding with the chia seeds that a cousin got us from the USA. If you have a sweet tooth you need not feel guilty as one can satiate sweet cravings with the healthier options.
The recipe is really simple with a few basic ingredients that are totally versatile.
I used coconut milk. You can also use dairy milk.
I used dates you may use honey, maple syrup or cane sugar.
I used cocoa powder. You can leave that out and use any flavour of choice.
Overnight Vegan Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 7-8 dates pitted and chopped or 4-5 tablespoons honey/maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Soak chopped dates in warm milk for about an hour. Blend to a fine paste. Skip this step if using honey/maple syrup or cane sugar.
- Take all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Let rest covered in the refrigerator overnight. (or,3-4 hours at least till you get a pudding like consistency)
- To serve, pour in the glasses. Garnish with nuts/fruits of your choice and dark chocolate chunks.