Roadside is draped in the brightest and the rarest shades of colours one can ever imagine. The foliage is lushest and luxuriant ever.
We discovered flame lily blooming in all glory in one of the moss-laden walls. Albeit poisonous, it is one of most beautiful wildflower.
Ipomoea breaks the monotony of green in every bush and in the lower branches of the trees with its dazzling shades of blue, mauve and pink.
It has been raining incessantly. Our home is smelling sweet as whole wheat crackers are being baked. It is a regimen in our home to bake a batch once or twice every week.
Have them with tea. Have them when hungry at odd hours. Take them along on journeys and picnics. These are vegan crackers. Garlic adds great a flavour along with herbs.
If you wish to make buttery crackers, replace coconut oil and oil with the same quantity of butter.
Vegan Whole Wheat Crackers | Whole Wheat Garlic Crackers
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt/ rock salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon powdered sugar / unrefined cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons oil (rice bran/sunflower oil)
- ½ cup water
- Mix together all the dry ingredients (first seven ingredients) in a large bowl.
- Add coconut oil and oil.
- Mix well. The mixture will resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add water. Add 1 tablespoon at a time and mix till the dough comes together.
- The dough should be soft. Cover and keep for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cut a parchment sheet to fit into the baking tray.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces.
- Roll out a piece on the parchment paper thinly. Cut into squares.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Watch out after 10 minutes of baking. Overbaked crackers do not taste as good.
- Cool. Store in an airtight container.