Autumn is melting into winter. A shift of seasons is perceptible in everything. Morning mists, winter flowers, chilly winds, and the beautiful winter line are all harbingers of the cold weather.
Yesterday, there was a great commotion in the Golden Trumpet tree. Birds kept swooping in and out of its flower-laden branches. There must be a cat, or a mongoose or a snake or an owl we presumed. The commotion became louder as more birds joined in. Soon, we spotted a jungle owlet hidden in the clump of leaves.
Diwali is around the corner and preparations are in full swing. Daughter is soaking clay diyas in water. These will be kept in the Sun to dry. She will then prepare wicks with cotton. On Diwali, oil will be filled in the lamps and the lamps will be lit and arranged in a pattern. Kids love to participate in the celebrations and this also involves them and helps them to learn about their culture.
The last batch of sugar-free Diwali sweets is being prepared. Beautiful nutty aroma wafts through as walnuts are being toasted in the oven. Dates have been washed, pitted and chopped fine. We are preparing Walnut Date Burfi.
Walnuts provide healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Walnuts are rich in antioxidants. Walnuts are good for the brain and support healthy aging. Walnuts are an exceptionally nutritious nut. Dates are an excellent natural sweetener and full of goodness. Roasted walnuts give this burfi a great taste. The burfi makes a guilt-free festive sweet and dessert.
Akhrot Khajoor Burfi |Walnut Date Fudge (Sugarfree and Vegan)
- 1 cup dates
- ¾ cup walnut kernels
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil (vegan version)
- Take one 7x7 inch square cake pan. Line it with parchment paper. Ensure that the parchment paper extends over the sides. Grease the parchment paper.
- Wash the dates and soak in hot water for 5 minutes. Remove the seeds. Chop into small pieces.
- Toast the walnut kernels in the oven. Set the temperature to 150 degrees C and set the timer to 10 minutes. Or, toast them in a thick bottom steel wok. Walnuts should turn fragrant and change colour slightly.
- Chop toasted walnuts into small pieces.
- Take ghee/coconut oil in a nonstick pan or a thick bottom steel wok. Add dates. Cook on low flame.
- The dates will begin to soften. Mash them with a ladle and cook till the colour becomes dark and mixture collects in the center as one ball.
- Add chopped walnuts and mix till evenly distributed.
- Empty the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Keep to cool. Transfer to the refrigerator and keep for 3-4 hours. It will set.
- Cut into square slices with a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container.