During the recent school break, which has just ended, I was constantly looking for something quick to whip up. Something delicious, decadent, easy for the kids to enjoy during their time off school.
Hedgehog slice (I believe Australian), has been on my to-do list for quite a while now and these past holidays seemed like the perfect time to make them. The recipe is easy and quite simple. Kids’ participation makes it all the more enjoyable.
“A hedgehog slice is an uncooked flat, square or bar-shaped chocolate snack/dessert, similar to a fudgy chocolate brownie but with alternating lighter and darker areas. The darker areas are chocolate flavoured. The lighter areas are crushed biscuits, rice puffs, or similar. (Wikipedia)”
Basically, it’s a super easy, fool-proof, no-bake fudgy bar that’s full of chocolate, crushed cookies, roasted chopped nuts, raisins and coated with a layer of pure chocolate. The biscuits are broken up and tossed through a chocolate mixture. It is then poured into a tin and refrigerated overnight. It is chocolate heaven!
I used bitter chocolate for a deep intense taste. The recipe is customizable. You may add nuts and biscuits of choice. Raisins can be substituted with chopped apricots or figs.
- ¾ cup condensed milk (use standard 240 ml cup for measurement)
- 60 grams Butter
- 125 Grams dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- 150 Grams plain sweet biscuits (digestive, glucose
- 1/3 cup roasted Peanuts
- 1/3 cup Raisins
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peels or 1 tablespoon finely grated zest of an orange
- 100 grams dark chocolate (for the topping)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Grease one 7x7 inch square cake pan. Line with parchment sheet extending 5 cms over one side.
- Break biscuits into small pieces.
- Combine condensed milk and butter in a thick bottom pan. Stir over low heat until butter melts.
- Add chocolate and stir until smooth. Add biscuits, peanuts, raisins, and candied peels. Stir.
- Pour mixture into the pan and spread evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours or until firm. You may refrigerate overnight also.
- In a double boiler, melt 100 grams dark chocolate. Add butter. Stir until smooth.
- Pour over the set mixture and spread evenly. Refrigerate for another 2 hours.
- Remove from the pan. Cut into slices. Serve.