Sunday mornings are slow paced and relaxing. After a long walk, a big glass of ginger tea is an elixir. We sat out with our glass of tea relishing the warmth of the Sun on our strained muscles, watching the magnificent colours of nature and feeling the gentle flow of breeze on our face. Mornings are heavenly and soothing. Butterflies are busy exploring the flowers.
Caesalpinia is blooming profusely and enticing the butterflies.
An Oriental White Eye has been coming to the Aloe flowers for nectar
Sunday is also for some special cooking or baking. Some strawberries are lying in the fridge. We decide to bake a whole grain cake using the strawberries.
The cake comes out dense and delicious. The cake is sliced and enjoyed with the evening tea and some is reserved for the kids’ tiffin box.
Whole Grain Strawberry Cake
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 6 to 8 strawberries hulled and cut into four slices each
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line one 7 inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat butter and caster sugar till fluffy and pale.
- Add egg and beat till well incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add flour mix to the butter mix. Pour warm milk. Mix gently until the wet and dry ingredients are just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Arrange strawberry slices on top. Sprinkle granulated sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or till the top turns brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven after 5 minutes.
- Invert on the rack. Slice when cold.
- Dust the slices with icing sugar and serve.
My Tip: You may use 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for a lighter crumb.