We always looked forward to trying out new recipes on weekends. The kids love to assist in baking and there is always so much fun in baking together. This weekend we baked Orange cranberry muffins. The muffins are vegan and packed with the goodness of whole wheat flour, oranges, walnuts, and cranberries.
While the muffins were baking, we kept food for the doves that wait for their share of millets in the Magnolia Tree.
It is getting hotter and birds have been flocking the bird bath. Later in the day, we spotted a garden lizard drinking from the bird bath.
The Muffins were ready in 18 minutes and came soft and delicious. These are ideal for breakfast, for school tiffin, picnics and with tea. Orange cranberry muffins are soft, moist and flavourful. These are guilt-free. You wouldn't mind eating an extra muffin.
This recipe makes 14 medium size muffins. I baked them in silicone moulds.
Orange Cranberry Muffins – Wholegrain and Vegan
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unrefined sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ½ cups orange juice (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease one standard size muffin pan or prepare silicone moulds.
- Whisk together first six ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl take oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Add more orange juice if the batter feels too thick or dry. Do not over mix.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Or until the muffins are well risen and browned around the edges.
- Transfer to the rack to cool.
- Mix the ingredients for glaze. It should be thick.
- Take glaze in a piping bag and drizzle over the muffins.